Film

The place for (mostly) hero related TV and movie news.

Paragons: BaneoftheJoker, DrHarleenQuinzel

Re: Film

Postby SpyLord » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:00 pm

A good way to describe Interstellar is its comparison to 2001: A Space Odyssey. And I really don't see how something can be too sci-fi...

SpyLord
Secret Agent

Postby Ockham » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:31 pm

People expected it to be "Nolan-realistic". Except that right off the bat, you knew crazy things were gonna happen in the first 45 minutes of the film
Spoiler!

I wouldn't go as say Interstellar is on 2001's level, but I would say it is the 2001 of our generation. Kubrick has this effect where no matter what film you're watching of his, you just feel so unsettled and have a sense of dread.

Also, speaking of 2001, I am always impressed of the Kuleshov Effect.
Spoiler!
Ockham
Quickened kid

Postby Therapist Toph » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:47 pm

Has anyone seen Furious 7? I heard the Special Effects were great and the villain's introduction is like, unbelievably cool but they apparently waste his potential. I haven't exactly concerned myself with that series, but other people like it.
Therapist Toph
Imp from the 5th Dimension

Postby SpyLord » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Ockham wrote:I wouldn't go as say Interstellar is on 2001's level, but I would say it is the 2001 of our generation. Kubrick has this effect where no matter what film you're watching of his, you just feel so unsettled and have a sense of dread.

Yes, it's not exactly at the same level, but there are some bits (at least in my eyes) that had a 2001 feel. There's the slow build-up and one of the few space films with no sound outside in space.

SpyLord
Secret Agent

Postby The Joker » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:46 pm

Nolan-realistic?
Ockham wrote:People expected it to be "Nolan-realistic". Except that right off the bat, you knew crazy things were gonna happen in the first 45 minutes of the film
Spoiler!

I wouldn't go as say Interstellar is on 2001's level, but I would say it is the 2001 of our generation. Kubrick has this effect where no matter what film you're watching of his, you just feel so unsettled and have a sense of dread.

Also, speaking of 2001, I am always impressed of the Kuleshov Effect.
Spoiler!

He's got the effect where you wish you'd never sat through it, if that's what you mean. Just like Nolan. They're the makers of overwrought garbage, which is what pseudo-intellectuals love to dine upon. I call it the Twilight phenomenon of the space man movies.

Has anyone seen Furious 7? I heard the Special Effects were great and the villain's introduction is like, unbelievably cool but they apparently waste his potential. I haven't exactly concerned myself with that series, but other people like it.

Apparently not.
The Joker
Trickster of Asgard

Postby Ockham » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:06 am

I don't believe in Nolan-realism. I'm saying that's what people were expecting. Nolan is spectacular visually and artistically, but his writing lacks for it. I respect Nolan to a high degree from his self-taught filmmaking and being the first director making movies specifically aimed towards IMAX.

Kubrick, I would have to disagree with you. It seems like you're trying to spark a heated debate, Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket is pure cinematic gold. Dr. Strangelove is, in my opinion, one of the most important pieces in cinematic history.

Ockham
Quickened kid

Postby Therapist Toph » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:33 am

Who is Dr. Strangelove?

EDIT:

Ohhhhhh, that's Dr. Strangelove. Is it? He looks stupid.
Therapist Toph
Imp from the 5th Dimension

Postby The Joker » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:38 am

A German warmongering weirdo scientist type with I think a metal hand, like Dr. No's or the mad scientist from the old Metropolis movie. He's someone people like to put in their avatars to show they're wonderful to other people.
The Joker
Trickster of Asgard

Postby SpyLord » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:56 am

Peter Sellers did a hilarious job in Dr. Strangelove.

SpyLord
Secret Agent

Postby Ockham » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:37 am

Ockham
Quickened kid

PreviousNext

Return to Cinematic Foresight